Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Beauty of Simplicity

For me, there's nothing more inspiring than a sunny Sunday afternoon.

I especially love the simplicity of a Sunday Sabbath in a small town. For one precious day I can focus on the joy of salvation, my loving family and on finding peace in nothing more than a warm breeze, a long walk down a near-deserted road, a rib-sticking meal, or a sweet story in a book or movie.

I spend most of my week in a ritzy suburb surrounded by all the things the world says brings happiness: the trendiest clothes, the most scrumptious food, the fastest cars, and the hottest career options. But yet, when I look around, all I see is stress, frustration, depression, and emptiness (not to mention some pretty intense road rage).

I find myself longing for simplicity. The kind that can be found in a slow, small little town in the middle of nowhere. The kind that is found when no one else is watching.

And that reminds me of one of the most beautiful things about our Savior.

He speaks to us  in small whispers. He calls us to give to others in secret so no one notices but Him. When Jesus needed to pray, He went away to a solitary place.

If you're feeling stressed or empty today, find a place of solitude. God will call you to Himself and He alone will help you find peace and joy. Listen for His still, small voice whispering His great love for you in the depth of your soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment